Monday, March 12, 2007

Beginning (again) with two

Being a father of two has turned out to be a lot easier (touch wood) than I thought. Isaac has been an easier transition, mostly because Samantha and I were more aware of what to expect. The last week has increased the difficulty quotient as Isaac refuses to sleep well at nights - but that is normal for a 3 week old.

Patrick is a wonderful older brother. He loves to cuddle and kiss Isaac, and when Isaac cries he often goes over to comfort him, or even pick him up (we intervene at that point!). At night, when Isaac cries a lot, Patrick wakes momentarily, groggily moves up into our bed and then goes straight back to sleep. Other times he just laughs at the silly noise Isaac makes.

I am finding that I spend little time with Isaac. Well, less than I expected. I hold him, change him, try to console him at 2:30am to no avail I might add. But Sam has the equipment and I don't, so Isaac is with her most of the time.

On the up side, I am spending much more time with Patrick, and really enjoying his energy and enthusiasm. We love to run around my parents' backyard, chasing after magpies, running through trees, playing hide-and-seek (of sorts), and being wild men. I throw him around vigorously and as I put him down he says, "Again?". Who can resist?

Right now, Patrick is in the bath, covered in bubbles and red bath crayon. We're having a great time.

No comments: